Hip hop pioneer and Zulu Nation founder accused by “several men.”
By Blurt Staff
On April 9 the New York Daily News reported that Afrika Bambaata had been accused by activist and erstwhile music company executive Ronald Savage of sexually abusing him in 1980; Savage was 15 at the time. The paper wrote that Savage “broke his silence in recent weeks with the release of a self-published memoir entitled Impulse Urges and Fantasies… Savage says he’s speaking out because he wants to change New York’s statute of limitations, which bars child sexual abuse victims from pursuing criminal charges or civil penalties after their 23rd birthday.”
Bambaata subsequently issued a statement through Rolling Stone, saying, “I, Afrika Bambaata, want to take this opportunity at the advice of my legal counsel to personally deny any and all allegations of any type of sexual molestation of anyone,” he said in a statement. “These allegations are baseless and are a cowardly attempt to tarnish my reputation and legacy in hip-hop at this time. This negligent attack on my character will not stop me from continuing my battle and standing up against the violence in our communities, the violence in the nation and the violence worldwide.”
Rolling Stone also reported that “Savage provided the newspaper [New York Daily NewsI] with an audiotape of what he claims contains a conversation between himself and two members of the Zulu Nation who offered him $50,000 to keep his allegations quiet. “Neither of the two men were given authority to speak on Bam’s behalf,” Bambaata lawyer Vivian Kimi Tozaki said, adding that she had no knowledge of the taped conversation.”
Today the plot thickened. The newspaper is reporting that more men have come forward with similar accusations against Bambaata: Hassan Campbell, now 39; “Troy,” age 51; and “several others,” not yet identified. Campbell reported told the paper that he had met with Bambaata, who apologized to him and promised to get counseling.
The Bambaata camp has not yet commented on the new allegations.