What, no LOLcats? Can you spell a word that starts with “l” and ends in “ame”?
By Blurt Staff
Earlier this week the first annual YouTube Music Award nominations were announced, and since they are already coming under fire from multiple corners (including Flying Lotus and Tyler The Creator—the latter is also scheduled to perform Nov. 5 at Pier 36 in NYC at the awards ceremony), we won’t editorialize. You can see pretty quickly how 95% of the nominations could just as well have been cribbed from MTV…
Video of the Year: Honoring the world’s most loved music videos, these nominees represent the videos with the most fan engagement on YouTube over the last year.
- Demi Lovato – Heart Attack
- Epic Rap Battles of History – Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney
- Girls’ Generation – I Got A Boy
- Justin Bieber (feat. Nicki Minaj) – Beauty And A Beat
- Lady Gaga – Applause
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Mary Lambert) – Same Love
- Miley Cyrus – We Can’t Stop
- One Direction – Best Song Ever
- PSY – Gentleman
- Selena Gomez – Come & Get It
Artist of the Year: Honoring the acts YouTube fans have made stars, nominees represent the most watched, shared, liked, and subscribed-to artists on YouTube.
- Epic Rap Battles of History
- Justin Bieber
- Katy Perry
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Nicki Minaj
- One Direction
- Taylor Swift
Response of the Year: Honoring the best fan remix, parody or response video, these nominees represent the top “unofficial” fan videos on YouTube based on your views, shares and other activity.
- Boyce Avenue (feat. Fifth Harmony) – Mirrors
- Jayesslee – Gangnam Style
- Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix – Radioactive
- ThePianoGuys – Titanium / Pavane
- Walk Off the Earth (feat. KRNFX) – I Knew You Were Trouble
YouTube Phenomenon: Recognizing the YouTube trends the world could not escape from, nominees are based on the phenomena that generated the most fan videos.
- Gangnam Style
- Harlem Shake
- I Knew You Were Trouble
- Thrift Shop
YouTube Breakthrough: Honoring the music world’s breakout new acts, nominees represent the artists who experienced the biggest growth in views and subscribers.
- Kendrick Lamar
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Naughty Boy
Innovation of the Year: Starting with videos selected by an international panel of musicians, YouTubers and creative luminaries, we then selected the creative video innovations that resonated most with fans on YouTube, based on views, likes, shares and comments.
- Anamanaguchi – ENDLESS FANTASY
- Atoms For Peace – Ingenue
- Bat For Lashes – Lilies
- DeStorm – See Me Standing
- Toro Y Moi “Say That”