In which our man on the ground, the esteemed Prof. Boydston, protects his lens from proximate fan damage because he cares about YOU, dear Blurt readers. Go HERE to view his report and gallery from the Austin blast’s first night, November 7, and stay tuned ‘cos there’s more to come! (Pictured above: the crowd at Stubbs either trippin’ out or in the line for the bathrooms….)
BY JOHN BOYDSTON
Things we learned Friday night, Nov. 8, at Levitation 2019 in Austin, Texas, in no particular order:
1) What Wayne (Flaming Lips) said…
2) The Rev in Mercury Rev must be short for Revelation, because they are one.
3) Death Valley Girls can lick ‘em by smiling, and leave ‘em to hang. [I see what you did there, John. – Lyric Ed.]
4) A year of touring for Broncho has turned them into a dynamic, crowd-favorite stage act.
5) Crocodiles are the best rock band I have ever seen, or at least since The Clash (and before that band cashed out).
7) Elephant Stone’s Rishi Dihr can jam with the best of them sitting down.
Tonight (Sat., Nov. 9), will feature White Fence, Allah Las, John Cale, and The Black Angels – and many more we hope. Worth noting is that Reverberation was originally founded in 2008 by Texas sonic/archival/renegade collective the Reverb Appreciation Society featuring key members of those very same Black Angels. [Who, I feel compelled to insert at this point in your narrative, John, once blew my 5-year old son’s mind at a deafening club soundcheck well over a decade ago. I still have the ear damage to prove it, and he still has the autographed 3-D poster to prove it as well. Have at it, gang, and please don’t return our photographer home with anything less than permanent ear damage from tonight. – Archival Ed.]