collects key samples used by the Bristol
By Blurt Staff
Massive Samples is the name, and revealing some of the secrets of the Massive Attack motherlode is the game.
It’s an album due Feb. 17 from Rapster Records, and it brings together for the
first time many of the original samples and covers that have contributed vital
sonic juice to the band’s sound.
Included are rare groove favorites like Lowrell’s ‘Mellow Mellow’, Reggae gems
from John Holt and Lewin Bones Lock, familiar anthems
that were given a whole new Bristol
twist. We feature tracks that lent the band some spacey atmospherics with Wally Badarou’s cavernous electro-dub
‘Mambo’ and Billy Cobham’s
majestic cosmic opus, ‘Stratus’. And we include some classic breaks (Isaac Hayes’ ‘Ike’s Mood’, The Blackbyrds ‘Rock Creek Park’) alongside the hit ‘Be Thankful’
by William De Vaughn.
Protected is the second in a Rapster series of
albums, following 2007’s Discovered, which raided Daft Punk’s sample
Go to www.massivesamples.com to check out some, er, samples from the album.
1. Wally Badarou – Mambo
2. Lowrell – Mellow Mellow
3. William De Vaughn – Be Thankful For What You´ve Got
4. Al Green – I´m Glad You´re Mine
5. James Brown – Never Can Say Goodbye
6. Isaac Hayes – Ike´s Mood
7. Billy Cobham – Stratus
8. Lewin Bones Lock – Five Man Army Dub
9. John Holt – Man Next Door
10. The Blackbyrds – Rock Creek Park
11. Pieces Of A Dream – It´s Time For Love
12. Rufus & Chaka Khan – Any Love