Springsteen, Clash, Bowie and others.
By Fred Mills
Just announced: the track listing for Heroes, a new charity compilation for Britain’s
Warchild organization, which works with children affected by war in Iraq, Afghanistan,
the Congo and Uganda. A slew
of contemporary artists, including Beck, the Hold Steady, TV On The Radio,
Rufus Wainwright, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Hot Chip have contributed tracks in
which they cover everyone from Dylan, the Clash and Paul McCartney to Bowie,
the Ramones and Bruce Springsteen. It’s due out in America on Feb. 24 via Astralwerks.
The full track listing is below.
According to War Child website:
‘War Child: Heroes‘ is an unprecedented collaboration between
music’s most heralded legends and the finest current artists. We asked 15
ultimate icons to select a favourite song from their classic back catalogue and
to nominate the new act they most trust to create a unique interpretation of
that hand-picked track.
album is the result: 15 exclusive and
breath-taking cover versions. The album will be released in the UK by
Parlophone and internationally by EMI on February 16. In the USA
it will be released by Astralwerks on February 24 and in Canada on
Quebecor on March 3. All UK
profits made by our record label EMI will be donated to War Child to help
protect children living in the world’s most dangerous war zones.
For more details, go to the War
- Beck (Bob Dylan: Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat)
- Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music: Do The Strand)
- Lily Allen (The Clash: Straight To Hell)
- Duffy (Paul McCartney: Live And Let Die)
- Elbow (U2:
Running To Stand Still)
- TV On The Radio (David Bowie: Heroes)
- Hot Chip (Joy Division: Transmission)
- The Kooks (The Kinks: Victoria)
- Estelle (Stevie Wonder: Superstition)
Wilson: Wonderful/ Song For Children)
- Peaches (Iggy Pop: Search And Destroy)
- The Hold
Springsteen: Atlantic City)
- The Like (Elvis Costello: You Belong To Me)
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones: Sheena Is A Punk Rocker)
Ferdinand (Blondie: Call Me)